Advantages of Plantation Shutters
- Energy Efficiency - The efficiency of windows contributes to up to 25% of homeowners' energy bills, so many homeowners install plantation shutters to lower energy costs. Plantation shutters can have an R-value, a measurement of thermal resistance, of 4.0, and they can help retain heat during cold months and reduce heat transfer during warm months. With the aid of plantation shutters, your HVAC unit won't have to struggle to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home, leading to significant cost savings.
- Durability and Longevity - Plantation shutters are incredibly durable, and they're known to withstand attacks by children and pets better than blinds and shades can. As long as you clean and maintain them consistently, shutters should last a very long time.
- Increased Property Value - Because plantation shutters are considered to be an investment, they tend to increase the values of homes, and potential buyers are attracted to homes with plantation shutters. Unlike draperies and blinds, plantation shutters are window treatments that are usually left with the home when the owner sells to a buyer.
- Customization - Plantation shutters are highly customizable, and you can collaborate with your shutter company to design them to fit any window. They're classic window coverings, but their material, style, color, shape, and size can be personalized according to homeowners' preferences.
Disadvantages of Plantation Shutters
- Higher Price Tag - Because plantation shutters are usually designed according to the particular measurements of windows, they're more expensive than standard blinds or shades, and purchasing them for your home is an investment. However, this higher price tag usually results from the superb quality of the custom-made plantation shutters.
- Limited Variety - Some homeowners prefer soft window treatments, such as shades and draperies, because their texture, color, pattern, and material can be modified in so many different ways, and they often have more personality than plantation shutters.
- Frequent Upkeep and Maintenance - Plantation shutters are built to last, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't clean them occasionally. Cleaning and tightening the louvers should be parts of your regular window maintenance.
- Permanence - When a shutter company installs plantation shutters on a home, those shutters are relatively permanent, or at least until they're professionally removed. They can't be switched out as easily as blinds, draperies, and other window treatments. Additionally, changing plantation shutters is more expensive than changing temporary window treatments.
Plantation shutters are extremely popular window treatments, and if you think they would suit your Santa Rosa home, you should contact our plantation shutter experts at Sonoma County Shade Company, a reputable shutter company.